Chapter 6 - Drawn Thread Work Stitchery / Part 1

In this first sampler I tried out some stitches on groups of threads withdrawn only in one direction. Lines from top to bottom: - hem stitch in green and pink - ribbon simply woven in and out - overcast bars - herringbone stitch: on such a loosely woven cloth this stitch turns out quite irregular - three alternating woven ribbons - groups of threads wrapped and linked - irregular needleweaving effects - needleweaving in pairs - weaving in and out - buttonhole stitch This second sampler shows diagonal stitching. From left to right: - ribbon knotted - needleweaving - fabric strip torn and threaded - satin stitch - Russian stitch in two colours and in opposite directions
After these first attemps I had fun making some samples. In the first one I used only diagonal stitching of different kinds: simple irregular hand weaving, satin stitch and lines of dense machine stitching. I like the effect of distortion and puckering created by machining.
In this second sample I tried to form F and X letters (not very readable!) through stitching and used machine zigzag lines to give more strength to the fabric
This third sample was worked very freely, my aim was to obtain a rich texture. I made very loose knots with strips of the same fabric and green ribbon over a very open grid.

Comments

  1. these are so striking, Daniela - the colours are beautiful - they made my heart zing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Daniella - as usual so bright and cheerful, it,s very inspiring! Paula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts